Tips for staying safe on internet
1. STRONG, UNIQUE PASSWORDS
- Choose strong and unique password for your online account and keep them to yourself.
- Don’t use the same passwords on different websites especially for important accounts like email and online banking.
- Remember a good password contains a combination of numbers, characters, special symbols and case-sensitive letters so that it can’t be easily guessed.
- We should change our passwords at regular intervals.
2. Enable 2-step verification for your Google account.
If you use Google services like Gmail then enable 2-step verification on your account verification page. When you sign in you have to enter both your password and a code that you get from your phone. So if someone even steals your password can’t access your account without the extra code.
3. Update your browser, software and operating systems.
As soon as the new version is available update your software, browser and OS. Software updates often contains some security aspects. New exceptions are added to that software which makes you safer.
1. Chrome adds exception to thousands of phishing pages and sends them to the blacklist. Therefore it does not let you open that phishing page when you are surfing, or will ask for confirmation before opening a suspicious page.
2. Antivirus updates the virus signatures that have been newly created to your scanning schedule.
Thus your computer becomes safe to those newly created viruses.
(NOTE: ignoring these updates will harm you like consuming more bandwidth, slow processing etc.)
4. BE CAREFUL OF SUSPICIOUS WEBSITES AND LINKS
There are many emails that looks like they are from friends and there are many links that are said to be followed asking our details. Never enter your password on unfamiliar site after following a link in your email. Instead go to the website directly by typing the URL in the address bar. This will make you safe from the intruders that take your detail on a fake login page that looks similar to the original page. Carefully look the web address: goo.gle.com or goog.le.com are fake.
Moreover most of the login pages are secured. You can see the https on the address bar.
Also other websites like Google and Facebook will never send you such a link.
OTHER NECESSARY SECURITY MEASURES
Using firewall: firewall is a system designed to avoid any unauthorized access to private network. The data that enters your system through your network comes in packets. Thus firewall checks those data packets before entering and selects which packets it should permit.
Using anti-spyware: spyware is malicious software that records user’s activity and necessary information (like bank & credit card details) without the prior knowledge of the user. Example: keylogger. Thus anti-spywares are necessary to prevent you from serious losses.
Reading terms and conditions before sign up written in extremely small font sometimes when agreeing to any document/contract/ etc.
Don’t give your information to anyone known over the internet only. Keep your details safe and avoid giving them to or through a third person. (Don’t trust anyone)
Tags: stay safe on internet, how to be safe on internet, safe surfing the net, tips to be safe on internet, tips for staying safe on internet,
staying safe on internet